Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen, Jack McClinton


If you haven't heard of Jack McClinton yet, you will after Sunday night's showdown between No. 17 Miami and No. 2 Connecticut. McClinton can fill it up in a hurry. At 6-1, he's not overly imposing from the wing, but the all-ACC guard can leave his mark on a contest with his long-range sniping.

His coach, Frank Haith, calls him the "heart and soul" of Miami. He's the little engine who can. And he will, if you don't lock him up. Dude shot 43 percent from 3 last year. He gets to the line, too, where he shot 92 percent last year.

But enough about last year, McClinton and his 'Canes are ready to push the Dukies and Carolina for the ACC title this year. The best way to enter the national spotlight at this juncture in the season is extremely simple: Beat UConn.

McClinton is Miami's ticket to the big time. And the first chance to earn some shine is topping the Huskies, which certainly isn't an easy task.

Other games to watch
-- Xavier and No. 13 Memphis do battle in Puerto Rico. The finals of the Tip-Off.

-- I smell a trap game.

-- I noticed ESPN the Magazine got a lot of complaints about Hasheem Thabeet after his short Q&A in its November 17 issue. Thabeet, when asked who the toughest big man in college basketball is, said, "Nobody's better than me, only more experienced. I played Luke Harangody and he was not tough ... "

I agree: Harangody is not that tough. I'll go out on a limb -- I have never seen someone complain to the referees more than Harangody does in a game, except for maybe me circa 2000 (trust me, it was a lot). I won't question his numbers; the kid is talented. He works hard. But he works the refs harder. If he is near the ball and he doesn't score, it's automatically someone else's fault. Just sayin', but maybe Thabeet is on to something ...

Parting thought: I can't believe a BCS bowl will have Cincinnati in it. Yikes.

No comments: