Thursday, October 01, 2009

J. Greer Is Back!


This comeback is bigger than Ma$e's. Well, maybe not. But still, I figured it's been long enough. The people are hungry, and I'm the man with the goods. So instead of all the usual welcome backs and catching up, let's just do what we do best: BS.

A few thoughts about the world as we know it right now ...

... First of all -- with the full realization that this will upset a LOT of my readers -- there is NO way, no chance, that the Phillies repeat. It's too difficult. And you need to have a bullpen situation figured out before you get to the playoffs.

... I can't wait for Where the Wild Things Are. And while I haven't seen Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, I'd like to. Can't say the same for Surrogates, though. God, Bruce Willis is just weird. Has anyone else noticed how hard he tries to be funny these days? It just falls flat. And this movie looks like a typical action film with a twist -- Bruce Willis in a weird-ass wig.

... I've said it before and I'll say it again: George Lopez is not funny. He will never be funny. So, why has TBS given him a late-night program? And why is TBS using Lopez as its latest version of "Extremely Irritating C-List Celebrity to Promote the Baseball Playoffs"?

... Doesn't get much more embarrassing than Hull City's 6-1 loss to Liverpool and Burnley's 5-0 abomination against the Spurs. Looks like the usual suspects will roam the top of the standings in the Premiership this year. No surprise there.

... I've had a debate with about five different people about this, but I think Joe Mauer is worth as much as Manny Ramirez and A-Rod. His contract runs out after 2010, and like Albert Pujols, Mauer's next contract has to be a huge one. I've read that the Twins like a seven-year, $120 million deal. I don't think that's enough. And it amazes me that Pujols doesn't make $30 million a year. He will soon. Who pays these guys? I don't know, but both are incredibly dedicated to their current clubs. And because they both seem to be nice guys to boot, they might take a discount to keep playing in Minnesota and St. Louis.

... It's October 1, and that means college hoops season is closer than you think. My buddy Jake and I were floating around No. 1 seed predictions today. I'm going with Michigan State, Kansas, North Carolina and Texas. Villanova will be the first 2 seed.

... Sure, the Dodgers are the best team in the National League, but in a league with teams that boast one-two punches like Carpenter-Wainwright and Lee-Hamels, the potpourri of question marks that forms LA's starting rotation is enough to have me worried.

... The Yankees look great as the season ends. But do they have the starters to match the lineup? That's the biggest question.

... Notice the early theme here? Pitching wins titles. Just ask the Phillies how important it was for Brad Lidge to dominate at the back end of the bullpen and Joe Blanton providing a fourth-starter spark.

... I'm reading Our Boys: A Perfect Season on the Plains With the Smith Center Redmen by Joe Drape. I highly recommend it. Next up: Game Six by Mark Frost. Yup, you guessed it: It's about Game Six of the 1975 World Series.

... OK, OK, we can't avoid football for so long. Here are some 3-0 teams that won't make the playoffs: Denver and the Jets. Yeah, I said it.

... Here are teams with losing records that WILL make the playoffs: Pittsburgh and Arizona. Yup, the Super Bowlers from earlier this year. Not really taking much of a risk here.

... Drew Brees is the best fantasy player this year, and I'm not even sure he's the best QB in football.

... Joe Flacco's early-season success is nice, but it won't last. Color me skeptical.

... Minneapolis/St. Paul is a great part of the country. Spent a week there in September and already want to go back.

... I've been on a big SI.com kick lately, and this article is just one reason why. They have lots of staff and lots of good stuff on that site. Not anything new to many sports fans, but I'm just sayin'.

... Uh, delete everything off a phone before you get rid of it. Just an idea.

... Seems like Jermain Defoe is the better option next to Wayne Rooney with England than Emile Heskey.

... Last but not least, follow me on Twitter.

No comments: