Friday, September 22, 2006

NFL Week Three Picks

I had a great first pick week after Week Two: 13-3 picking winners and losers, 11-5 covering my own spreads. Anyway, as usual, there's a plethora of exciting games this weekend. Let's git dahn to it (that's my typed Pittsburgh accent).

Tennessee at MIAMI -- I will keep picking Miami, and they will keep disappointing me. Basically for this game, it came down to which team was more likely to beat themselves. Dolphins by a touchdown (if they can score one).

Jacksonville at INDIANAPOLIS -- The game of the week in my opinion, although there's another one in Pittsburgh at the same time. Jacksonville's defense might be one of the few in the league capable of slowing down Peyton Manning. And they'll do that in Jacksonville. But the Colts are at home and home is where the heart is. Colts by three.

WASHINGTON at Houston -- Wow. Two of the first three games are awful. I feel weird, especially after saying how great the week was going to be. Anyway, I will pick against Houston every game and let them beat me once or twice. Same with Oakland. I can't wait to see how bad Mark Brunell is this week, but it won't be bad enough to lose to the lowly Texans. 'Skins by seven.

Green Bay at DETROIT -- Finally, an easy win for the Lions. Wait, what? Roy Williams, anyone? This continues the trend of terrible games at a 75% clip. Another team I'll pick against all year? The Packers. Detroit by six.

New York Jets at BUFFALO -- The Bills look like the surprise team in the AFC East -- surprise in a good way. At home against the Jets should be a game the Bills can win. Buffalo by three.

CAROLINA at Tampa Bay -- The Bucs just don't have it together. And with a gun pointed to my head, I'm calling the Panthers by four.

CINCINNATI at Pittsburgh -- The Bengals, along with the Chargers. are my favorites to make the AFC Title game. The Steelers aren't going to make the playoffs. The Bengals begin their quest to drive Pittsburgh into a summer-long depression with a 10-point win.

CHICAGO at Minnesota -- I keep picking teams on the road, but Chicago looks like a top tier team in the NFL. Defensively, they make plays. Offensively, they don't mess anything up. The Vikes are good, but da Bears are better. Chitown by seven.

BALTIMORE at Cleveland -- It doesn't get any easier for the Browns. Their first three games are against opponents with a combined 6-0 record. How fun. Baltimore will either win the AFC North or get a wild card bid to the playoffs. This game will be in their win column, Ravens by 10.

NEW YORK GIANTS at Seattle -- Remember last year's game? It won't happen this year, but it was quite the finish. This is where the we-lost-the-Super-Bowl-and-we-are-going-to-disappoint slump kicks in. Giants by six.

PHILADELPHIA at San Francisco -- I'm sorry, but the 49ers beating the Rams at home isn't going to convince me that they are a surprise team. Give me 10 weeks and a 7-5 record and maybe we'll talk. Iggles by seven.

St. Louis at ARIZONA -- The Cardinals will tough to compete with at home, and this game is going to be a great shootout. I like the Cardinals' receivers better, but I hope there are 65-70 points scored in this game. 'Zona by seven.

Denver at NEW ENGLAND -- Revenge. Denver stumbles into New England with 19 points scored in two games. Jake Plummer is already on the hot seat in Denver. The Pats haven't looked great so far, in fact, they've looked flat and relatively unorganized. But at home, against a lesser opponent, with a week with new receivers under his belt, Tom Brady will have his game together. Pats by 10.

Atlanta at NEW ORLEANS -- I think the Falcons are better than people thought they'd be, but on this emotional night, at this emotional stadium, with this emotional crowd, no way am I picking against the Saints. New Orleans 3-0?! REGGIE! REGGIE! REGGIE! Saints by three.

There you have it. I hope to continue my pick 'em streak.

Overall: 13-3 Against my spread: 11-5

No comments: