Thursday, November 23, 2006

Preseason Tournaments Mean Preseason Babbling

-- I'm not sold on Gonzaga despite its 82-74 upset of North Carolina last night. Derek Raivio reminded me of me in high school -- made terrible decisions, took awful shots and almost cost his team the game on several occasions. Still, it was a showing of how to beat North Carolina and gave Gonzaga a big win to start the post-Adam Morrison era.

-- Props to Geoff Dutelle, who mentioned the possibility of Kansas beating Florida and Pitt becoming No. 1 in the nation as a result of UNC and Florida losing. I'll have to see it before I believe it -- Florida is too dominant and the media's darling. UNC might stay ahead of Pitt for the same reason that Florida will be in top 5 regardless of record -- everybody at ESPN loves them.

-- Georgia Tech looked great all week until last night's loss to UCLA. But I don't think the Yellow Jackets should be disappointed with their performance -- their youth and talent really showed this week. UCLA is great on D and one of my favorites for a(nother) big tournament run.

-- Providence beat Boston College last night, prompting several thoughts in my head. Aside from the immediate "Holy crap, Providence is great!" moment, I also realized that Boston College stinks. Every year we have this discussion and every year I'm right -- the Eagles are always overrated and you can always count on them to underachieve.

-- A win against a ranked opponent usually gets you in or close to the top 25 right? Not when your Providence and have a 2-1 record. The only loss? To Brown. Yep, the Brown Bears of the mid-level mediocre variety in the Ivy League.

-- Can't wait for Florida-Kansas Friday night. Tip is set for 11 p.m. ET -- 9 p.m. where I am in the mountains. Should be a good one. Can't really give you a prediction, but I'm leaning heavily toward Florida.

Have a good Thanksgiving everybody.

No comments: