Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I want this man injured


Not for any personal reasons, of course. LaDainian Tomlinson seems like a good guy. It's a strategic thing. Here are three reasons LT's nagging toe injury can benefit me as a fantasy owner:

(1) I own Darren Sproles, Tomlinson's mini-me backup who had 6,000 total yards and 12 touchdowns in the Chargers' 39-38 loss to the Broncos this weekend. (He really had 317 total yards, a kick return and a 66-yard pass for a score.)

(2) If you, like me, own Sproles but not LT, you immediately have a trading piece. If you need help elsewhere, you can get something good from LT's owner in exchange for Sproles. LT owners will have to handcuff him with Sproles soon, given the nagging nature of turf toe injuries.

(3) I'm set to play LT this weekend, so the usual hoping-for-an-LT-injury talk has surfaced.

But nobody cares about fantasy football, right? I mean only millions play it ...

Let's move on.

Elsewhere
--
DeSean Jackson is getting ripped for his premature dropping of the football 0n Monday night, when he let go of the 'skin before crossing the goal line so he could immediately begin his celebration. I think it's fair to criticize him for what could have been a boneheaded, back-breaking move, but we should remember: Dude's a rookie with 216 yards receiving (that's a 18 yards-per-catch average, folks) and an extremely potent deep threat.

-- Seriously, get over it. The Eagles scored on the next play.

-- ESPN.com's NFL coverage is on steroids. Seems like there are hundreds of stories each day.

-- The whole Wall Street crisis impacts you, not just the stock market. Trust me. Pay attention to it. And pay attention to what the presidential and congressional candidates say about it. It's important.

-- Are the Brewers this year's Mets? Or are the Mets this year's Mets? The Phillies are this year's Phillies, screaming to the top of the NL East standings with 11 games to play. I have to admit: I'm rooting for the Brew Crew.

-- If you are still wondering if the Rays are for real, you have been hanging out too close to the Trailblazers' locker room.

-- Bad news for the Colts. Count me among those who don't feel bad for them.

-- Love to say I told you so.

-- Yikes.

-- I've got tickets to the big Nats-Marlins game on September 23! (Laughs uncontrollably.)

-- Thank God!

-- Meanwhile, Pittsburgh holds its collective breath. For more reasons than one.

-- I know he's really a player on the team, but the headline is hilarious.

-- Pitt football ... oh boy.

-- On Friday night, a friend asked for my thoughts on Dave Wannstedt. I covered the guy for three years. I'll say this: He's the nicest guy in Pittsburgh. Can he coach? Well, not really. But he sure can recruit.

-- Parting thought: Not only is this hysterical, but it's also the reason New Englanders don't care about the stupid bloody sock and are ready to move on. Shooting his mouth off for four years has been fine, but campaigning for Bush and then McCain? My friends, that's one bridge to nowhere too far.

No comments: