Thursday, March 09, 2006

Big East Babble: Day Two

It was another special day for college basketball, particularly at the Big East tournament in New York City. Syracuse shocked Connecticut with a gritty performance thanks to Gerry McNamara's leadership and the big guys stepping up their games. Georgetown enjoyed Dominic James' poor shooting to take a close one. Villanova-- surprise, surprise-- killed Rutgers in the second half (like I thought they would), winning by 30-plus. But the biggest game of the night was a rough struggle between Pitt and West Virginia in the third installment of the Backyard Brawl. Pitt won by 11.

-Can you think of another guy who you would want taking a last-second shot than Gerry McNamara at this point in the season? The only other guy I think people would choose is Adam Morrison because of Redick's recent struggles. McNamara did more than hit the game-tying three, he distributed the ball extremely well and carried his team to overtime. I was wrong about Syracuse and I can admit it. They will pose a quality threat to Georgetown tomorrow night.

-Georgetown didn't really impress me with their play on Wednesday or Thursday, yet they're still alive in the tournament with a great chance to make the finals. I like their mixture of players, they just seem to stick around in every game. Marquette seems like a team that could very well make a Sweet 16 run or flop in the first round. In fact, I don't know about either Georgetown or Marquette in terms of consistency. I just see them either totally flopping or making a big run. No in-betweens.

-Villanova is just too good. I don't know what to really say. They control the game with their guard play-- obviously-- and just seem too tough to really lose. I only see about three other teams in the country that could beat them: UConn, Duke and Gonzaga. I think the 'Cats would have trouble guarding JP Batista AND Adam Morrison.

-Pitt managed to roll in the second half after a terrible start. I think the key for them was staying close in the first despite struggling immensely. The guard play of Pitt could end up troubling 'Nova. The difference in experience will probably make it 'Nova's game to lose, but Pitt has the athletes. I like Fields, Krauser, Ramon, Graves and Benjamin. Those five could help challenge the four guard tandem from Villanova.

Tomorrow's games--

Georgetown vs. Syracuse- I think 'Cuse will win. I think they have all the momentum. Fatigue won't be an issue as both teams have played two days in a row. It'll come down to grittiness, and right now, Gerry Mac and his club are the toughest of the tough. Call it 'Cuse by four.

Pitt vs. 'Nova- This is going to be a good one. I think the guard play of Pitt might be able to challenge 'Nova. The key for Pitt is getting Gray and Young involved. If Kendall is back and healthy, that will help Pitt. They need as many guys down low to rebound and scrap as possible. The guards will be neutralized by 'Nova's guys, but the personnel for 'Nova is lacking after Fraser and Sheridan. If Pitt can wear down those two and get to the tin, they could have a shot. I just think Villanova is too good. 'Nova by six.

Goodnight folks.

No comments: