Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Lucky number...FIve?!?!

It was supposed to be the biggest night in recent Celtics history. The night where a ping-pong ball with the Celtics logo found its way into the hands of whoever runs the NBA Draft Lottery.

Then we'd hear the most beautiful sequence of sentences...

"The third pick goes to...the Milwaukee Bucks..."

"The second pick goes to...the Memphis Grizzlies..."

"The first pick in the 2007 NBA Draft will go to...the Boston Celtics..."

But on Tuesday night, somewhere between 8:30 and 9 Eastern Standard Time, some stooge pulled up the envelope. The envelope contained a little card with a team's logo on it. The envelope signified the fifth pick in the 2007 NBA Draft. Essentially, the envelope contained a pick three slots away from a soon-to-be superstar, a sure fit for one of the future greatest players of all-time -- Greg Oden or Kevin Durant, to be precise.

The envelope contained a card with the Boston Celtics logo.

The Acopalypse is upon us.

God hates the NBA.

More importantly, God hates the Celtics and Celtics fans.

But I actually started thinking about it -- after the throw up descended back down my throat, after I regained consciousness, after I received three phone calls and at least five instant messages complaining about the Lottery -- and I'm almost not worried.

Almost.

And I might get my head cut off by my friends from home. I am, luckily, safely in Pittsburgh. For now, anyway.

But if you look at the top 15 in this year's Draft, the list is pretty nice. Heck, if you peruse who could still be available at No. 5, you might not be too, too worried.

After all, there are options.

Let's talk trade
Well, Portland needs a proven veteran to lead the crop of great, young players: Rookie of the Year Brandon Roy is teamed up with developing starlet LaMarcus Aldridge, post powerhouse Zach Randolph and promising point Jarrett Jack. What do they need?

A proven veteran who plays on the wing.

Insert Paul Pierce. Dangle Pierce and the No. 5 pick for Portland's top pick, and the Celtics can pick Oden or Durant to be the face of the franchise. The contractual issues will be a problem. But I think some kind of trade will be on the table, and, as much as I love Pierce, it's definitely worth considering.

Call me Al
Did you watch the NCAA Championship? Did you see the 6-10 beast on Florida's block wearing out the Ohio State defense? Yeah, he's Al Horford. And he might be available at No. 5.

Think about it...

At the point, Rajon Rondo and Delonte West can handle things.

On the wings, the C's have Paul Pierce (obviously), Wally Szczerbiak (please, be healthy), Gerald Green and Tony Allen.

In the post, Ryan Gomes and Kendrick Perkins can be great off the bench, rebounding the ball and defending well. And in the starting lineup, Horford and Al Jefferson can rock the blocks with the best of the young talent in the game.

I guess what I'm saying is, I want Horford.

I want him in green. He will develop. He is NBA ready. And he doesn't have the nagging injury problems Oden struggles with or the I've-never-touched-a-weight frame of Durant.

Maybe I'm rationalizing. But maybe I'm right. We'll find out June 28.

No comments: