Wednesday, May 02, 2007

You Know This...

The NCAA banned coaches from text messaging recruits in its newest change of recruiting rules two weeks ago. I'm late on this topic, but I mentioned it in passing when the first news of it popped it. And I guess there's really only one thing I have to say about it, and Jim Calhoun said it perfectly when asked about the ban: no one has gotten a player through text messaging.

Still, the biggest problem with the messages is that they cost money to send and receive. College coaches make six figures. High school basketball players (officially) make maybe four figures over a summer if they have any time to work. And I know the people paying their phone bills probably never liked the 50-plus dollars rolling in each month.

I can see why coaches like text messaging. Obviously it's a quick way to contact a kid. And most kids, if you don't mind me using myself as an example, carry their phones with them all the time.

-- Another rule was approved by the NCAA yesterday. It increased the number of core courses -- which I assume means math, English, social studies, science and physical education -- required for incoming college freshmen from 14 to 16.

-- Mississippi State's Jamont Gordon decided to stay in school. The 6-4 junior-t0-be has significantly improved in each of his first two seasons with the Bulldogs. Expect him to keep developing and help M-State push for an SEC crown.

-- Iowa State was docked two scholarships. Its basketball players failed to meet the minimum academic requirements three years in a row. Does that surprise anyone? This is a school that produced Curtis Stinson, Marcus Fizer and, this is the kicker, Jamaal Tinsley.

-- I'm now taking bets on how soon Rick Majerus will crumble to the hardwood at Saint Louis. And I don't mean fail as a coach.

-- Spencer Hawes needs another year at Washington. He needs to add about 15-20 pounds of muscle and develop his repertoire of post moves.

-- Might as well include Brandan Wright to the list of kids who need to add some muscle.

Oh, and my last parting shot, Michael Jordan's son, Jeffrey Jordan is going to Illinois. In related news, set to be published sometime in 2012, Jeffrey Jordan graduated from Illinois averaging one minute per non-conference game.

No comments: