Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Checkin' in ...

I was in Georgia this weekend. The state, not the war-torn country. Aside from the usual filthy barbecue and always delicious sweet tea (the real kind, not some Lipton rip-off), I noticed one major thing down there.

Away from any major markets, the biggest seller in town is ... the high school football team. That's right, the Ware County Gators. There were T-shirts on sale at the local Wal-Mart, Walgreen's and a few other places. So cool.

A little obsessive and over the top for a high school football squad? Probably.

Elsewhere
-- I cannot stand [insert Olympic event here]. I can't wait until this is over, so the real sports fans can get back to normal life. I've spent too many days listening to big "Olympics fans" explain away the process of dismounting a balance beam. Seriously, please be quiet. Nine times out of 10, you have no clue what you are talking about. Save the rest of the public the trouble of hearing the mindless blather spewing from your mouth. Thanks.

-- Oh, and thank god I didn't have to check a bag for my flights to and from Jacksonville (the closest airport to my grandma's southeastern Georgian community). Would've cost me $15 each way. No joke. And if I wanted a drink on the flights? $1 for water. $2 for soda or juice.

Give me a break.

No comments: