Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Deja vu all over again

Well, it's 2008, and the annual Super Bowl picks from ESPN's flock of football analysts are in. Shockingly, the Chargers are the AFC favorites among the analysts. Seems like that has been the trend since LT came into the league, despite the Colts and Pats dominating the AFC for the past few years.

You know, it's actually funny how much analysts don't want to like the Pats. Everyone hates them. That's fine, jealousy is a common human trait. But it's embarrassing that these so-called "experts" could be so pro-Chargers, which is more blatantly anti-Pats than it is anything else. How could you possibly pick anyone but the Pats to win the AFC? They have the greatest quarterback ever and the return the best offense in the history of any sport ever. But it's OK, the Pats don't need people to love them.

All they need is a field. (And, for all the Pats haters out there, a camera.)

In the NFC, it's the Cowboys, whose quarterback, Tony Romo, has yet to do anything in the playoffs other than Jessica Simpson. No one would argue that Romo isn't a good quarterback. He is a fantasy starter by all means, and was a star in most leagues last year, but his playoff numbers make me scratch my head ...

Elsewhere
-- Call me crazy, but I'm rooting for the Texans to make the playoffs. I have a soft spot for them.

-- Yahoo! has some interesting stuff up on its main page. Best cities to earn a living. My current location, Washington, is fourth.

-- Despite being in a terrible country, Moscow is the world's most expensive city.

-- Scientists found out why "mama" and "dada" are our first words. I think the answer is obvious: In this time of 24-hour cable news networks, the inundation of media and constant struggle to keep our messages out there, starting your fundraising efforts at a young age seems more and more attractive. I started begging my parents for money when I came out of the womb. In retrospect, I should've started earlier ...

-- Coco Crisp must hate playing for the Sox.

-- Why does this not surprise me?

-- Manny's in town this week. Just an update from my once previously published Manny Watch and Bay Watch:

Manny. In 100 games with the Sox, he hit .299 with 20 homers, 68 RBIs, 22 doubles, had an OBP of .398 and scored 66 times.

In 24 games with the Dodgers, Manny is hitting .379, with six homers, 21 RBIs, 12 runs scored and a .476 OBP.

Bay. Give him his due, in 22 games with the Sox, Jay Bay is hitting .341, with four homers and 20 RBIs. His OBP, .386, is 10 points higher than his career average.

Let's call it a wash.

-- Closing thought: Can't say this surprises me ...

No comments: