Thursday, January 08, 2009

Welcome (Back) to Earth


At least that's what Harvard was saying last night to BC as the Crimson trampled the Eagles in a Beantown throwdown. Seriously, how do you beat North Carolina then turn around and lose to Harvard?

How? Anyone want to explain that to me?

Talk about soaring out of this world then crashing back to it. One day, you're the toast of the college basketball world, owning a win against the No. 1 team in the nation (a team, might I add, that no one thought would ever lose, including me) and being ranked No. 24. The next day, you're watching zeroes roll across the board when you're still down 12 to an Ivy League team.

If Will Smith's fists of justice don't hit BC while he shouts "Welcome (Back) to Earth!" then certainly all the coverage of the upset today will serve as the gut-punch. How embarrassing.

Now I know I've written about Harvard before. The Crimson have a talented coach who recruits like a mad man. Amaker has another good class coming in for next season. But he has his kids playing good hoops now.

Plus, with the way this season is going, does it surprise anyone that there was another upset? Does anyone want to be ranked and stay there?

Maybe you, Tennessee? No? Oh, OK. Maybe Gonzaga liked being ranked so much that it wants back in ...

UPDATE: I can't believe I forgot to mention that Maryland lost to Morgan State last night. Because that's hilarious.

Elsewhere
-- I. Love. Pacman.

-- I do not love Brett Favre.

-- Gotta love them BoSox.

-- Mangini to the Browns ...

-- I want to be the GM of the Lions. Seriously. If it's anything like Madden ...

-- Are you freakin' kidding me?

-- A nice way to start your morning (after reading J. Greer, of course) is to read this roundtable from college hoops experts at SI.com. Enjoy.

No comments: